19 December 2011

Cookies n' Fudge

Let's see... last weekend I was bummed I didn't have the cash available on Friday to treat myself to Pizza Hut (been ages since I've had PH) so I consoled myself with making cookies from Chef in Training



Hmm, mine look nothing like the CiT cookies, the only difference is I left out is the sprinkles because I didn't have any. Otherwise I would have because I love sprinkles and they make me happy. I started out rolling them (the four on the right), but got tired of that and lazy after a long week at work so just dropped them (the four on the left). Clearly the rolled looked prettier, so I compromised and mushed down the peaks after dropping them.

Mine came out small and I think I overbaked them just a smidge - they weren't burnt, but then again maybe I just wasn't used to this texture cookie. I do wish they had tasted more cake batter-y.



This weekend, I gave Pralines and Cream Fudge a try from Something Swanky. It's a little on the rich-feeling side because of the white chocolate.

My mom loves pralines, so I thought this would be a nice treat for her...



It looks great, smells great, but it's okay. I'm sure it would have turned out better if I could have found Kraft caramel squares. As it is, I had to deal with the grocery's. I heated and heated and melted them, but once cooled, it got hard again.

People with fillings should beware if you don't start out with soft caramel squares like Kraft's.

After the fact I learned I could have added some milk to get it softer.

Personally, I think it would have been fine with 3/4 of the caramel. If I try this again in future I think I'll halve the caramel portion from the Homemade Twix recipe. That caramel was much softer.

It wasn't Mom's favorite, so I brought the bulk of it to work and it seems to be slowing disappearing.

No comments:

Post a Comment