29 December 2011

2 Shrimp Dishes

This was one of two dishes I made for Christmas Eve dinner. Only three of us would be eating shrimp dishes, and one of the three I have never witnessed eat a lot. sigh.

I neglected to take pictures, so use your imagination of shrimpy goodness. =)

Dish #1 - Cheesy Shrimp Dip

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/cheesy-shrimp-dip-recipe/index.html

This can be used as an appetizer, snack or entree.

I think it tasted fine and was told it was really delicious, but either I missed on my prep or the recipe is a miss by Paula Deen. It sounds amazing ... I mean cheese, how can you go wrong? And shrimp, yuum.

While standing in the store looking at the 10-oz ring of shrimp and the 1-lb ring, it looked like one pound was a lot for the three of us. So, I got 2 of the smaller rings...one for the dip and one to do some simple scampi. Then I'd halve, give or take, the dip recipe.

However, by time I chopped the shrimp for the dip it looked like a lot less, so I added a few more from the second ring. Still looked skimpy, but I went with it.

My modifications ended up being:

1/4 cup 3 tbsp. butter
2/3 1/3 cup chopped red bell green pepper
1 pound @ 12 oz. medium fresh shrimp, peeled, deveined, and coarsely chopped
1/3 cup sliced green onions
1 cup @ 1/4 c. sour cream
1 3/4 cup shredded Parmesan
1 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella
1/2 cup @ 2 tbsp. mayonnaise
Pinch salt
Pinch cracked black pepper
Cornstarch slurry - @ 2 tbsp total of CS and water?

As you can see, I didn't quite halve the cheese since I had @ 3/4 the total shrimp...it's cheese, you can't have too much cheese, in my opinion.

Too much butter! I think it's really only in there to help with the pepper. It ended up separating from the whole mixture when baked.

I used green pepper because I couldn't find a small red one...all the ones in the store were ginormous, I swear they were on steroids. I think it tasted just fine with the green though.

Left out the onion because my dinky grocery either didn't have singular ones or they hid them.

After baking @ 25 minutes, I pulled it out of the oven and all the butter had separated and pooled around the edge and overall it was more of a chowder consistency. Meh. Hard to spread on crackers. I tried stirring it back in, but to no avail so had to add some cornstarch to thicken it up a bit.

If I make this again, I'd:
-Use the whole pound of shrimp.
-Only use a small bit of butter to keep the peppers from sticking to the pot, or none.
-Probably add another 1/4 cup +/- of cheese.
-Use half the sour cream and mayonnaise to help avoid chowder consistency.

Side thought: you could probably add some scallops to change things up.



Dish #2 - Baked Shrimp Scampi

I forget where I found the original recipe, but here's what I did with the 8-oz. (@ 20) shrimp. My additions in italics.

Ingredients:

2 pounds large uncooked shrimp, shelled and deveined
1/2 cup butter
1 1/4 tsp. salt
6 cloves 3 tsp. garlic powder crushed
1/4 cup 2 tbsp. (heaping) chopped fresh parsley
1 teaspoon lemon zest A couple dashes of lemon dill seasoning
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
lemon wedges

1 heaping tbsp. Italian breadcrumbs plus 1 level tbsp.
2 tbsp. olive oil - I used EVOO instead of butter/lemon juice.


Preparation:

Leave shell on tail section, if desired. Removed tails. Preheat oven to 400°. Melt butter in a 13x9x2-inch baking pan in oven. Spray baking dish with PAM or other cooking spray. I used a small glass pie plate for my shrimp quantity.

To the melted butter, add the salt, crushed garlic, and 1 tablespoon of the chopped parsley. Stir well. In small bowl, combine salt, garlic or garlic powder, parsley, lemon dill seasoning, and breadcrumbs. Blend together. Add EVOO. Should be a crumbly mixture.

Arrange shrimp scampi in baking pan in a single layer. Bake, uncovered, for 5 minutes.

Turn shrimp; sprinkle with lemon zest, lemon juice, and the rest of the parsley.

Bake shrimp scampi for 8 to 10 minutes, or until just done. Arrange shrimp scampi on hot serving platter; pour garlic butter from pan over the shrimp and garnish with several lemon wedges.


Cover shrimp with mixture and bake @ 10-15 minutes or when shrimp are done (curled up like they do). Serve warm.

Shrimp scampi serves 4 to 6. We each had about 7 shrimp.

If I made this again, I'd probably use a little less EVOO and rather than just cover the shrimp with the breadcrumb/herb mixture give them a small douse/stir in EVOO and then have the mixture coat them or toss it all in a bowl/bag and arrange them in a layer to bake.

No comments:

Post a Comment